- House Beautiful / Alex's Kitchen by Alex Hitz
Perfect Roast Tenderloin of Beef with Horseradish Sauce
Serve this succulent dish — enhanced by a creamy sauce with just a bit of tang — for seated dinners or festive buffets.
FOR THE ROAST TENDERLOIN
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
1 6- to 8-pound beef tenderloin, trimmed
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter, softened
2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1. Preheat the oven to broil.
2. Rub both sides of the tenderloin generously with the salt, pepper, and thyme.
3. In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, and shallots, and mash them with a fork. Rub the composed butter generously on top of the tenderloin, then put the beef on a metal baking pan. Place the baking pan on the middle rack of the preheated oven and broil the tenderloin, butter-side up, for exactly 5 minutes.
4. Reset the oven to 400° F.
5. Roast the tenderloin for 17 minutes more.
6. Turn the oven again to broil, and broil the tenderloin for an additional 2 minutes. Remove it from the oven.
7. Let the beef rest for at least 12 to 15 minutes before slicing. Serve it warm or cold.
For the Horseradish Sauce
Yield: 1¾ cups
½ cup prepared horseradish, drained well
1 cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¾ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
In a medium-size bowl, mix all the ingredients until they are well combined. Cover the bowl, refrigerate it overnight, and serve with the roast tenderloin.
Photo by Victoria Pearson